SESI was founded to provide specialized education programming for students who are not finding success in the traditional classroom due to a variety of intensive special needs that require personalized academic and behavioral interventions. In partnership with more than 200 school districts nationwide, we currently operate 60+ schools and programs in 13 states and the District of Columbia for approximately 3,000 special education and alternative education students, providing them with individualized attention, innovative blended learning approaches, and all necessary support services to overcome barriers to education.
Serving as an effective, affordable alternative to restrictive, costly residential treatment centers with both our in-district and out-of-district placements, SESI offers customized services, flexible curriculums, and multiple program options—all delivered in the least restrictive environment (LRE) per student, all meeting core curriculum standards, and all adhering to state and federal guidelines and regulations.
SESI aims to comprehensively, expertly, and holistically educate and socialize students with significant learning and behavioral issues across all facets of their academic and social-emotional development so that they can perform at their highest level and realize productive, fulfilling futures.
We reintegrate students into mainstream settings quickly and seamlessly, whenever possible. For school-aged students (grades K–12), this means returning them to their sending schools once their deficits have been appropriately addressed so they can benefit from interaction with their larger peer community. For older students who stay with us through high school graduation, it means successfully transitioning them to institutions of higher learning, vocational training programs, or gainful employment in the workplace.
We accomplish these goals by:
- Collaborating with our partners to tailor our services to fulfill their specific requirements and expectations
- Maintaining transparency and ongoing, open communication among all relevant parties
- Cultivating family and community involvement in our programming
- Implementing our time-proven educational model that has been serving the best interests of school districts and improving young lives for close to 30 years
SESI designs and delivers customized educational services for the full array of students with special needs.
Special Education: Specializing primarily in serving the most severe 1% of the nation’s total 6.5 million students with a special education classification and an accompanying government-mandated IEP, including but not limited to students with:
- Learning Disabilities: Including SLDs (Specific Learning Disabilities) and OHIs (Other Health Impairments), setting them 4–5 years behind grade level
- Emotional Disabilities: Including SEDs (Severe Emotional Disturbances) and all types of social-emotional disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorders: All ASDs, including Asperger’s syndrome and PDD-NOS
Alternative Education: Including but not limited to:
- Transitional Students
- Underachieving, Undercredited & Overage Students
- Students Who Exhibit Disruptive Behaviors
- Students Who Dropped Out / At Risk of Dropping Out
- Suspended or Expelled Students
- Students Returning from Outside Placement
- Alternative Education Students with Special Needs