Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disorder in the United States. The latest statistics estimate that as many as 1 in 68 students fall somewhere along the spectrum (with boys five times as likely to have autism as girls), and the growth rate is only expected to rise annually.1 The autism spectrum includes the following classifications:
- Autism / Autistic Disorder
- Asperger’s Syndrome
- PDD-NOS (Pervasive Development Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified)
- CDD (Childhood Disintegrative Disorder)
- Rett Syndrome
Because autism presents differently in each and every individual, there is a pressing need for customized education services that adapt to individual learning styles and accommodate different levels of autism intensity. To meet this need for children with autism spectrum disorders, SESI's ever-evolving ASD program2 incorporates the latest research-based findings into our multisensory curriculums and delivers individualized instruction that meets each student at his or her ability levels, maximizing skills and proficiencies for successful generalization to mainstream settings.
1. As reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (March 2014).
2. Not all SESI schools/programs offer the same level of autism programming. Contact us to learn
more about the autism education options available in your area en route to determining the best
and most suitable placement per child.